Spring is here and it’s time to start thinking about all the maintenance tasks that need to be done around the house. Doing regular maintenance not only helps keep your home looking great, but it can also help increase its value and save you from costly repairs down the road.
5 Home Maintenance tips to do every spring
Clean out Gutters
1. Clean Out Gutters: Cleaning out your gutters is essential for keeping them in top condition and avoiding more extensive roof issues. Leaves, twigs, and other debris can clog them up and cause water to accumulate, which can damage your home’s foundation and siding. Make sure to get up on a ladder, or pay a handyman/woman, to check your gutters regularly and clean them out when needed.
2. Check and Replace Caulking: Caulking helps seal areas around windows and doors, keeping water and air from entering your home. Over time, caulking can become brittle and break away, especially in the Redding summer heat, so it’s important to check and replace it regularly. Make sure to use a good quality, exterior-grade caulk to get the best protection.
3. Inspect and Repair Roof: Inspecting your roof for any signs of damage should be done every spring. Look for any missing or damaged shingles and check for any gaps in the sealant around vents and other openings. Vent caps can become brittle from the sun which can cause leaks around the vent. Make sure to have any repairs done professionally, as DIY repairs can void your roof’s warranty. Click here is a good checklist for roof maintenance.
4. Touch Up Paint: Touching up any chipped or peeling paint around your home can help keep it looking great and prevent the wood areas from deteriorating as quickly as unpainted wood. It’s best to use the same paint as the original, and make sure to use a good quality, exterior-grade paint to get the best protection.
5. Check Exterior Lighting: Walk around your home and check that all your exterior lighting is working correctly. Replace any broken or missing bulbs and make sure all the fixtures are securely in place. Exterior lighting can not only help keep your home safe, but it can also add a great touch of style.
Avoid costly repairs
By doing these five home maintenance tips, you can ensure that your home is looking and performing its best this spring. It’s important to stay on top of these tasks to keep your home in tip-top shape and avoid any costly repairs down the road.